Monday, October 24, 2011

Denver Law Environmental and Natural Resources International Student Profile: Tamiko Watanabe (Japan)

Our next international student profile features Tamiko Watanabe who shares very interesting information about her country and her background.

1. Where are you originally from? And where did you grow up? Tell us about your home city or region.
I’m Japanese and grew up in Kyoto. Kyoto is a former capital of Japan. It’s famous for old buildings such as shrines and temples and also traditional foods.
Each temple and shrine was built for a certain purpose. When you visit them, you will feel the differences. Traditional Kyoto food is served in very small portions, but the delicate artistic way of placing each piece of food is amazing.

2. What is your educational background? When and where did you attend school and university?
I graduated from Soka University in Tokyo in 2004 and my major was international law.

3. What experiences have you had, thus far in your career, in terms of addressing environmental or natural resources issues?
I haven’t experienced any environmental issues so far in my career, but I have attended many environmental workshops which helped me pay attention to environmental issues.

4. What are the key environmental and natural resources issues in your home country?
We don’t have a lot of natural resources and depend on getting our energy supplies from many other countries. Currently, we have a huge environmental and energy problem because of the earthquake and tsunami on March 11th.

5. You have chosen to study at Denver Law. Why did you make this choice and what are you hoping to learn and experience while you are here?
- This law school’s curriculum matched my needs.
- I had a specific professor who I wanted to learn from.

6. What is your personal philosophy or point of view in terms of the relationship of the environment and natural resources?
I tend to think of the natural environment much the same as a human. Every living thing is in a big circle; there is demand and supply. When I see a regulation or a rule only for humans, it makes me feel incongruous. Since humans can’t get out of the circle, people should pay more attention to the environment. I, however, understand the economic thinking and opinion of developing countries.

7. Tell us something you would like us to know about your country.
When you visit Japan, you have to know that there is no free wi-fi in public even if it's in Tokyo (you can barely find the free wi-fi )!!! If you really need to use an internet, you have to go to an internet café!!

8. What is something about you that most people don't know about (for example, do you have an unusual hobby or have perhaps have had an unusual experience in your life)?
I practiced karate in Japan and had an experience doing wheel chair karate. I had a competition for the demonstration of the wheel chair karate and got third-place medal. I found it is really difficult to use a wheel chair.

9. Who are your professional role models?
-Dr. Daisaku Ikeda who is a founder of the Soka University.
-Professor Ved. P. Nanda

10. What are your plans after completion of your degree?
I would like to apply for the optional professional training so as to have an environmental experience in the U.S. This will enhance my environmental knowledge and help me work in the environmental field in Japan in the future.

No comments:

Post a Comment